Monday, January 7, 2013

J-term: Concentrating on one class.

Happy New Year!!
My friends and I were happy to see these cute drawings on a wall in Ordal!
Hi, I hope you all had a good Christmas and New Year! I wasn't able to go home to Japan for break, so I worked on-campus for a week, and then joined my good friend in Wenatchee for the rest of Christmas break. I would have to say that my first Christmas and New Year in America was definitely a good one! Since I am a first-year student, I am required to take a J-term class, so I was back at school on the 1st. It was nice to see all my friends in Ordal again (that's the dorm that I live in), and catch up on things that happened during break. So what's different about J-term compared to the Fall and Spring term? J-term is a month long term were students are allowed to take up to 4 or 5 credits. The content of the class is same as a full semester class, but the pace of the class is quicker since we have that one class everyday for around 3 hours. For J-term, I'm taking Norwegian. A common question I get from people: "Why?". I don't need to take a language class since I am an international student, it really doesn't have to do much with my major or minor, so why am I taking Norwegian 101? The answer is simple: I'm just taking it for fun. Though I would have preferred to take a class that would have helped me complete my gen ed requirements, due to the woes of registration and being a first-year student I decided to take a fun class that may benefit me someday. I've only had two classes, and so far I'm enjoying it a lot. I like learning languages to start with, and though it is a little challenging because there is a lot of content in the class, I'm really glad I decided to take it!

No comments:

Post a Comment