Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Working On Campus

Hello all

Sorry I haven't blogged for a while.

However, here I am once again talking about my life and hopefully I can share some of my experiences with you guys.

So It's J-term and you know what that means: class like crazy or work like crazy.

I don't know if you guys are familiar with the whole J-term thing so let me just explain it so we all can be on the same page (well, at least I know that I was confused as heck when I first heard about it)

At PLU we have Fall Semester, J-term, and Spring Semester. Fall and Spring semesters are just like what you would see at other universities. However, J-term is when students can take up to 4 credits for the whole month of January. So let's do some math. If a normal 4 credit-hours class is taken in a a normal semester, that would be 4 hours/week over 3 months. Therefore, that would come to a total of 48 hours/semester. In J-term, we only have 1 month, therefore 48/4 weeks would come to 12 hours per week. And let say classes are from Monday - Friday, that would be 2.4 hours/day. However, most classes in J-term are either 4 days or 3 days/week, so that would make it 3 hours/day and 4 hours/day respectively. So if my math is right, that would be crazy for me to sit in a Nursing Class about Childbearing for that long without falling asleep or stressing my brain out.

Therefore, I decided to work for this whole month of January.

I work at the Office of Admission as an Admission Intern. What I usually do is sitting at the front desk, answering the phones, adding prospective students to our system, sending letters and emails about PLU, and helping out with Admission events on campus. But I only do this in J-term. Usually, I work with International Admission and that's something else :)

Anyways, working in J-term is fun because I don't have to worry about homework, projects, or any school related stuff. And because I am not taking any classes, I can work up to 40 hours/week. I love money but I also need to take a break for myself so I only work for about 30 - 34 hours/week.

Working on campus is great. There's always something for everyone. If you're interested, you can learn more about Student Employment at:

http://www.plu.edu/studentemployment/

However, if you want to see the job openings, you will need to have a PLU Student ID.

So that's what I've been up to recently. How about you?

Sincerely,
Henry

No comments:

Post a Comment