Friday, May 7, 2021

Bryan is Graduating!!!

Hi guys! This is Bryan, and I am graduating this May 2021! 
It feels so surreal when writing this blog post. I can't believe, in less than a month, I will be leaving this familiar, comfortable environment and be released into the wild nature. 
My 4 years at PLU has been a blessing for me. With my last blogpost, I want to take this opportunity to thank the many wonderful encounters that I had at PLU. 

How it all began - 2017

I started in PLU in September 2017 as a biology majored student. Back in the "good old days", PLU used to have a really big new student orientations with all sorts of fun activities. And they take pictures of all incoming students on Foss field by having everyone line up and look at the cameraman on top of the Foss field hall. It was really interesting. 
I was a transfer student, so I started in South hall, 4 bedroom apartment. I still remember quite well how I first met my roommate Yohei. He popped out of his room while I was moving in to say Hi. We became friend quickly and went on many trips together later on. Without him, I might have stayed in the room all day these 4 years and didn't have the courage to explore the beautiful PNW. 
I also met some other great friends like Tiffany and Joe. We made a IM soccer team together named The Vegetables. I started participating in IM every season ever since. 
The VEGETABLES!




(Me, after two days of not showering)
2018

In Spring 2018, Yohei and I went for a trip to California by ourselves. The trip in LA was well-planned, We were gonna have a comfortable trip until we decided, at the last second, that we will take an overnight bus to San Francisco to watch a basketball game and come back at the same night by bus to catch our next day's flight. Three days without shower and sleeping on the bus. We were tired, but the trip was FUNNNNN. 






In Fall 2018, I got into the traditional BSN program and started my nursing student life - which is hw, hw, clinical, mental breakdown, play, hw, hw... Nursing school have incoming students stayed in one cohort throughout their entire program. People in my cohort are passionate, clever, and interesting. Without all the study groups and teamwork in group projects, I would've had a harder time in the program. 
Some of my amazing classmates



2019

In Spring and Fall 2019, I had two of the most difficult classes in nursing school: N280 Pathological human process or N330 Pharmacological & Therapeutic modalities. I struggled hard in those class, but I survived... at the cost of severe sleep deprivation and stress overload. 
In Spring 2019, I also started working in the International Student Center! I met the amazing staffs at PLU who were advocating for the international student populations. Heather, Hiro, Brandon, Megan, Camille, and Van. It was a pleasure working in this team, and I just wanna say... Heather is the most pleasant person that I have ever worked with!




2020 - 2021

COVID hit all of a sudden! 
Many of my friends graduated in 2019, and some of my friends went back to China. 
2020's summer was really boring. I got stuck in the dorm and couldn't go out because of COVID. I also couldn't go back home because of nursing major. 
I drove them to Seatac airport to send them home... And I drove back alone...

2020 didn't leave me alone. When fall 2020 started, I met some other nice friends and went to many places. I love PLU, because we have a relatively small campus and a super friendly community that enables you to explore what you were not comfortable with. All the people that I met here taught me something different and pushed me to become a better person. 

What now?

Nursing school is stressful, hard, but really fun. After you learn some basics, you will start to get excited for clinical rotations, because you can actually apply what you learned in class and help some people. It was definitely not a comfortable experience, but I learned a lot from it. My senior clinical rotation was even more challenging, as the nurse let me take care of patients individually. I learned a lot under the stress, and I got comfortable with working in a clinical setting! (Plus, you can have some really good views outside of the window)
Rainbow power!


As I am about to get done with senior clinical rotations, I have to start preparing for the nursing licensing test - NCLEX and apply for a job later. While spending so much time in the clinical, I still have many homework and assignments from my classes, and they really gave me no time to panic about future. 
I hope I can work in a Medical Surgery Unit after graduation, and eventually get into a graduate school to obtain a higher degree in nursing. I will report back when I get there.
For now, let me leave you with a picture of my orientation~

Sept. 2017

Past Blog posts 

Also, here are all the blog post that I've written since I started working in the ISS in 2019. I can't believe I wrote 18 blog posts in these two years! I am not a great writer, but hopefully you can still enjoy some good pictures and funny memes. (And don't ask about why the medicine blog post doesn't have a second series)

No comments:

Post a Comment