Thursday, January 23, 2020

Go Skiing/Snowboarding!!!

Welcome back to J-term!

And welcome to a new season of skiing/snowboarding!
I figure I can write something about these winter sports, since
1. It's limited time - Winter Only!
2. It's fun - and really addicting
3. An opportunity for you to try these is coming up - @Outdoor Recreation
4. I just went to Summit at Snoqualmie for skiing
But just to be clear, I am no expert of skiing too. The information I provide will be mostly based on my previous experience with skiing/snowboarding.

Why should I go skiing?

If you come from a southern city like me where the coldest winter is like 55 F/12 C, you will definitely be amazed by the feelings of gliding on snows. It's all about the unspeakable joy of speed and control that you get every time from skiing down the hill. Plus the view of the mountain is absolutely gorgeous. I think this is just one of the things you have to try at least once in your life. 



Should I ski or snowboard?

This is the question that you should definitely ask yourself before heading to the mountain. Skiing and snowboarding are different in many ways other than just how you head down the hills. In general, skiing is easier to learn for beginners, and snowboarding is easier in doing tricks. 
I will recommend skiing to you if you...
1. Have never skied/snowboarded before, and you don't have a good sense of balance and strong physical strength.
2. Want to pick things up faster and head up the hill earlier with your friends
3. Not particularly interested in doing tricks
4. Want to progress to harder slopes faster
I will recommend snowboarding to you if you...
1. Have been playing skateboard, surfing, or any kinds of board sport. 
2. Feel confident about your physical strength and sense of balance
My first day skiing
3. Interested in doing tricks
4. Feel like snowboard is more interesting

For me personally, I started with skiing and changed to snowboarding later. On my first day of skiing, I registered for a skiing lesson in the resort. It took me only 1 hour to learn how to ski with no previous experience about skiing and I hardly ever fell. On the second day, when I confidently decided to learn snowboarding, it took me nearly 3 hours to learn how to snowboard, and I fell so many times that I couldn't feel my butt anymore that night. But, in the end, I love snowboarding because it offers me more sense of accomplishment.


How should I start my first day skiing?

For you first day on the slope, I absolutely recommend you to register for a class and learn from some experts, if you can afford to do so. Let me warn you that the cheapest beginner lesson that I found (for crystal mountain ski resort) was $128 for 2 hours of lesson, a beginner lift ticket, and rental equipment. I think it is still quite worth it, since the beginner ticket + rental equipment worth $101 already ($49 + 52). But I know not everyone has the time or money to do so.

So another thing you can do is to watch some Youtube videos online and try it out when you get there. It works for some people, but it is truly more difficult than it looks in the video. The youtubers are all pro-skiers already; they are used to the speed and they have perfect control over the skis. When you first get onto the skis, you will likely have no control of your skis and get scared by the speed and fall. It is going to happen multiple times before you are no longer afraid of the speed and learn how to slow down. So the big take away here is to be prepared to fall for your first day on the slope.

And for sure you can find a friend to teach you. Just warn them ahead of time that it takes time for you to learn and free them from time to time when you are learning how to "fall".

Equipments and Tickets?

Skiing is not always so affordable for everyone. It can be pricey if you buy the full ticket and get a complete set of equipment. What you can do to decrease the cost are: 
1. Buy beginner/discovery ticket
Slopes are arranged into different levels based on their difficulties. If you buy a full ticket, you will have access to all of the slopes. However, if you are a "noob", you probably won't get to the hardest slope for the first day and buying a full ticket can be a waste of money in this case. A discovery ticket will have access to magic carpet slope and a beginner slope. These are great places for you to learn, and the ticket is 40 dollars cheaper than the full ticket!
2. Buy tickets online ahead of time
Buying tickets online will save you at least 20% of the price. Visit their website for a link of online purchase!
3. Wear warm and water proof outfits
Swimming glasses works! @Masuda Yohei
You don't have to buy a 100 dollars ski jacket to be able to ski. The key features that ski jackets offer are waterproof and windproof. If you can find a warm and water proof jacket, you should be good for skiing. (Just remember you will fall for many times and it will get dirty)
For pants, also try to find a water proofed pants, since you will sit and lie on the snow very often. If not, find something that is warm and sporty and bring extra clothes for you to change later!
If you wish, crystal mountain offers ski jackets rental at $36.  
4. Buy ski gloves and goggles
Personally, ski gloves and goggles are the ones that are worth buying. Each can cost you around 45 dollars, but they are quite essential and can last for a long time. Skiing when it's raining is truly a pain if you don't have waterproofed clothes and goggles. 
If you decided not to buy one, a leather gloves can work. And, believe it or not, swimming glasses works too. My friend tried it and he gave a thumb-up to it. 
5. Rent a helmet
You will fall a lot, and you will fall on your head if you are snowboarding. Helmet saves life!

Where should I go for skiing/snowboarding?

There are three ski resorts around PLU. They are:
1.Summit at Snoqualmie
Summit at Snoqualmie

Snoqualmie is only 1.5 hrs away from PLU. It is relatively close and the tickets are a bit cheaper.
The downsides are the slopes are shorter and there are less beginner slopes. The beginner lesson there is also more expensive. 
2.Stevens Pass
I have never been to Stevens Pass, but I have heard a lot of good things about it.
It will be a 2-3 hours drive though, if you plan to drive from PLU.
I heard it has some very good slopes and it closes late in the season.
Just be careful about the bad parking situation. 
3.Crystal Mountain
Crystal Mountain

I have been to crystal mountain twice, and it gave me some pretty good experience.
It's a 2 hours drive from PLU, but it's definitely worth it.
The slopes are large and have quite some slopes available for beginners.
They also rent out ski jackets and give cheap beginner lessons.
Most importantly, Outdoor Recreation will host a trip to Crystal Mountain this Sunday (1/26)!
You can get a transportation to Crystal mountain and a lunch that OR will provide.
It will be a great opportunity for you to ski/snowboard and you will definitely have a lot of fun there!
So what are you waiting for? Grab your friends and sign up for the trip online at www.imleagues.com
#NotSponsored

Best,
Bryan Yuan
1/23/2020

No comments:

Post a Comment