Sunday, December 1, 2013

Turkey Day is not all about turkeys -- Third stop in the U.S.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind.”
Malayan Proverb
Dear friends,

Happy Thanksgiving. Poor turkeys. It is the time of the year when people are crazy about making those birds taste delicious. Their contribution to this celebration is great and deserves more praise. I thank the birds for being such understanding creatures. But this day is not only about eating. It is about sitting down with your family and friends, enjoying a meal together and catching up. It is about time for a power break before I head back to my one out-of-order and under-construction college life.

I am celebrating Thanksgiving with my American family for the third time, but my journey home this time is accompanied by two close friends of mine: Elin and Marianne. Two Norwegians going home with a Chinese girl to an American family. Sound fun?

From the left, Marianne, Elin
Photo: Elin Skølt
Seattle at night                                                                     Photo: Elin Skølt
We made it home late on Wednesday night. Mostly my fault. I though we could explore another route to get home by taking a train, but that didn't work out because the train was full during the holiday season. I knew better! But I didn't think about purchasing the tickets beforehand. So we ended up taking the ferry, and luckily Luke, my wonderful host brother, offered us a ride home. I have to say, the ferry ride was a good idea after all. We got to see Seattle during the night. It glowed bright like a star in the sky.


Thanksgiving dinner was great, as usual. People should always be thankful for their food. Being able to eat and have a choice of what to eat is not accessible to everyone. I am thankful for the food and for the quality time spent with both my friends and my American family. 


There is a medium-size pond in my American family's property.
Photo: Shunying Wang
I am thankful that I listened to my parents for once and went on this adventure alone to look for my future self.



From left to right, Dad Greg , Marianne, and Shunying :) 
Photo: Elin Skølt
I imagine my journey as a bus ride. Each bus stop is specially designed. I have only passed two Thanksgiving stops to give thanks to the wonderful life of mine. I am now stopping for the third time to thank all the people whom I have met along this journey, for educating me, guiding me, inspiring me, influencing me, and loving me. 

Just out of curiosity, how did you spend your Thanksgiving? Did you go Black Friday shopping like Mia Ida Karlstad did (Click here to read about her experience)? Please share with us in the comments below :) It'd be fun to read! 

Love always,

Shunying Wang



No comments:

Post a Comment