Top 10 Lute-tips
Hey Lutes! Whether you are right off the plane or have been here for some time, these tips will apply to you. I am writing from my own experience and the goal is to give you the best college experience you can possibly have. These tips have helped me conquer the world of college life with all that comes with it. From academics to having fun, college is a great time. I believe these ten tips will increase your productivity so you can both nail the classes and see the newest episode on Netflix. I wish you all the best for the upcoming semester. Let`s rock and roll, we can do this Lutes!
This is me doing a prime tourist selfie in San Francisco over Spring Break Last Year for those who are curious. P.S: travelling is lots of fun!
This is me in Garibaldi Lake, Canada for those who want to like to Hike/visit new countries.
(That was a little bit about me, if you want to know more see my other post on this site)
Here are my Top 10 Lute-tips:
- Get to know your school
- There is always an event on campus! Check calendars and be a part of newsletters to see when fun stuff are going on. Flourish in the academic realm of lutes. Engage with teachers and classmates who want to help you be the best you can be here.
- Parkland and Tacoma offers diversity and an unique opportunity to get different experiences and learn from people from others cultures like yourself. A lot of people want to talk to you so emerge in our area and embrace diversity within Tacoma, from food to music and art.
- Engage in activities at school and in the area and make PLU yours. A big component to making PLU home and feeling at ease with Lutetown is to make it your own, do what you like to do and engage with the club or group of your choice. College is so much fun and you have began your journey as a Lute. Start a club if you don't see your niche or interest taken care of or join or rigorous variety of clubs on campus.
- A leader is one who knows the way, goes the way, and shows the way. PLU has numerous ways to be a leader, at a club, in class or in talks with friends. A leader is within all of us so show your inner leadership here at PLU and have others do the same.
- Often times you feel like you need to be different than you are to fit in, but be yourself and that is more than enough. Be yourself because everyone and every story is unique and everyone will respect someone who are confident in themselves and that they are good enough. If you have an idea at a club, say it, don't be afraid.
- PLU is what you make it, so don't be afraid to dream big and make goals on what you want to get our of school here. Setting realistic goals is important but also goals that brings the very best out of you.
- There is a lot of activities going on at college and a lot of people who want to engage with you. To succeed in various things, plan things and stay on top of your schedule to have the most fun. An example for me is doing homework in weekdays and then travel on weekends. I have done this thus far and have felt I have plenty of time to both succeed in academics, be part of clubs, work and emerge in fun travel experiences.
- It is important to budget and spend your money sustainably. The currency for a lot of you guys can be tough now, it is at least for me as a Norwegian. I need to budget food, fun, necessities and so on. Setting up a monthly budget is a great way to get the most out of your money.
- You are in a new country and it can be overwhelming. A good priority is to take care of yourself health-wise. I took the flu shot to avoid being sick for a week as I was my first semester here. Also, eat well and exercise. Food may not be the same that you are used to. Sleep is also quintessential. Though it is fun staying up late sometimes, do what you need to do to be at your best. Taking care of your body is crucial to being able to balance everything and to enjoy yourself to the fullest here in the states.
- This is the summary of all the others. We here at ISS and other PLU workers want to help you succeed and to feel at home here at PLU and in the USA. We are here for you and want to have a good teamwork. Take part of our activities because they are really fun and don't be afraid to talk to us about anything. We are all together here, we all want to succeed, do well and have fun and enriching life experiences. Share your dreams and ideas on how to make PLU better and engage with others to help this come true.
- Harald F. A. Overå `18 Business Major - Feda, Norway