Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Look into the New MSMR Program

I have survived the first few months of being a Master's student at PLU and as part of the first MSMR cohort. So far It has been very intense and we have already done so much. I definitely feel like my statistics background in Psychology has helped me a great deal and will continue to be a big part of my success in the program. 

Already our cohort has had the chance to work with real life clients in different companies, had several presentations and even worked in the field! Because it is such a short program, only 11 months from September 2015 to June 2016, there is an immense amount of information to be processing at hyper-speed. This will hopefully prepare us for the fast-moving nature of the data-world ahead. 

Because of the small cohort size, only 18 students it has allowed us to get to know each other thoroughly and keeps the group tightly connected. We are working in different teams for all four classes and know each others strengths and weaknesses in order to function well as a group.
Here is our cohort posing with Bjug Beards for the #BjugDay of Giving!
My team took on a difficult task the first weeks and signed up for a client that needed us ASAP! My team members and I put on our running shoes and got to work! Our client was the Washington State Fair and the fair was already coming to an end when we started, which means we had to move quickly in order to collect the data that was needed.






In the end it was a lot of fun, we received official staff T-shirts and official "Marketing Staff" badges for the two days we were on site and also received free admission and extra tickets for our friends to join the fun. After we collected data we of course had to enjoy the Fair's staple foods (Scones and Turkey legs), see some cute animals and go on a few rides. We were even able to see part of Duran Duran's performance and I got my picture taken with storm troopers!





The homework load is as expected for a graduate level course and the reading is never ending, but entering a graduate program you should be prepared for that. Returning as a PLU alumn I already know a majority of my professors, the faculty, the buildings and even some of my classmates from my undergraduate degree, which makes Grad-life a little more simple and less scary.


If you have any questions about the MSMR program leave it in the comment section below!


Madeleine


1 comment:

  1. Great Blog! Now I know what you were doing at the Fair! (thought it was just all fun...but you were working!)

    ReplyDelete