Friday, September 24, 2021

Meet Amandine - Our first guest blogger!

 Hi everyone, this is Silje! 


Long time, no see - Things have been super stressful with moving into a house off-campus, being a student leader at the New International Student Orientation and the beginning of classes (which are finally in-person again!). But, we are back on track to our regular blog schedule, and this week is our guest blogger week! This is a new concept that we are introducing to our blog, which will either feature interviews with the guest or a blog-takeover. 

Amandine at the Chihuly Garden and Glass Museum

For our first guest blog, we have Amandine Barban (22), who came to PLU during our current semester, Fall of 2021, and is doing a semester exchange for her MBA program! Amandine is from the Auvergne region in France, which she describes as a beautiful, green region with a lot of volcanos (that are thankfully inactive), but she was born in Montpellier in the south of France. Amandine is a student at NEOMA Business School in Rouen, which is located in the north of France, and we are really excited that she is spending a semester of her education here with us at PLU! I asked Amandine a few questions about what she has experienced during her first 3 weeks in Washington. 

You came to PLU for fall semester 2021. Why did you want to do an exchange year from France, and what made you choose PLU as opposed to other colleges in the US?
    I had already had the awesome opportunity to do an exchange program six years ago in Ontario, Canada for 3 months, from which I have met wonderful people and made several great memories. I really wanted to re-live an international experience because I love to challenge myself and step out of my comfort zone! I think it is a very fulfilling and enriching experience and I would recommend it to anyone. Also this time is different because I am not living with a family but I am more " on my own '', since I am living on campus and I didn't know anyone before coming here. And the main reason I chose PLU as opposed to other colleges in the US is mainly its location: I didn't want to end up in a state in the middle of nowhere haha! I liked that the Washington state was on the West coast and not too far away from Seattle and other great cities that I wanted to discover.

 What has been the biggest culture shock that you have experienced since coming here?
    There have already been several: first of all, living on a huge campus like this is really something that we don't get to experience in France. Also, I was surprised at the beginning that everybody would ask me how I was doing, at any time: when passing someone on the street, when ordering food, when going to a store... But I have to admit that the biggest culture shock I have experienced here is with the food: even if I love fast food, I really miss eating actual cooked meals. I never thought I would have said that but I miss vegetables and healthy food hahaha! 

Is there anything you noticed were more similar to France than you thought, or anything that you did not expect to be different but were? Anything new that you have learned in the last month of being in Washington? 
    I have learnt to always be careful when looking at prices, since here the tax is not included and also you have to tip almost everywhere! In France, tips are like a bonus for waiters and waitresses, contrary to here where it is the way they actually get paid. Also I did not expect food to be so expensive, I feel like you pay the same amount for fast food here than for actual "restaurant" food in France. Eventually I didn't expect Americans to eat dinner so early, that required some adaptation from me in the beginning.

If your family or friends came to visit you in Washington, what is something that you would really like to show them?
    First I would want to show them the campus and its accommodations; but apart from that, I would take them to Seattle and visit Pike Place Market, as well as show them Dale Chihuly's glass sculptures.

Do you have anything on your bucket list of what you'd like to see or do during your time? Any bucket list experiences that you have already crossed off?
    As said above, I have already had the opportunity to go to Seattle (4 times already!), which was something I was really looking forward to. I have also been to Tacoma several times, and done a hike in Mount Rainier! Next locations on my bucket list would be Portland, the Olympic National Park, Vancouver and New York. I would also like to experience life on campus and I am really looking forward to attending on-campus events such as PLU's Theatre and Dance musical.

You're currently doing an MBA program, which for someone who might not know, stands for Masters in Business Administration. To provide a slight insight on Amandine's masters, she is enrolled in "Organizations, Leadership and Change Management", "Quantitative and Managerial Decision Analysis", "Marketing Management" and "Project Management". How has the first couple weeks of classes been? What are your favorite classes, and why?
    The first couple weeks of classes have been good! I already have a lot of projects and presentations, which is a bit stressful but also stimulating. Also the teachers are very understanding and have a close relationship to their students, which is something that I really appreciate. One of my favorite classes so far is the Marketing class because our teacher is very "entertaining", by that I mean that his course is very dynamic, which is important to me since all my classes are in the evening. I also appreciate that the class is not presented as a lecture but rather as interactive presentations made by students themselves.

What are some advice that you would give future international students wanting to come to PLU?
    I would advise to bring some snacks from home because food will be the second thing you miss the most after your friends and family ahaha! And other than that, just be open to any opportunity that is given to you and to live your exchange year/semester 100% - time flies and you don't get to live this kind of experience everyday, so make sure to take advantage of it as much as possible. This way you will meet amazing people and make wonderful memories! 

And that concludes the interview with our first guest blogger! I want to thank Amandine for her time, and wish her good luck with the rest of her exchange program. 

Until next time, 
    - Silje 

No comments:

Post a Comment