Saturday, April 18, 2020

Quarantine Life!!!

Hey guys,
I hope everyone is doing well and staying safe in the current COVID-19 situation.
As we all know, Washington state government had extended the "Stay Home - Stay Healthy" order to May 4th (Link here).
Following this policy, I have stayed in my house for almost two weeks. I have never experienced quarantine life before, and I bet it's the first time for many of us too. So I just want to take the opportunity to write down what my quarantine life feels like during this time.

COVID-19 Situation Currently - 4/17/20

U.S. Total Cases: 661,712
Washington Total Cases: 11,152
Pierce County Total Cases: 1058
Parkland Total Cases: 55

Becoming "Michelin 3 stars chief"

I am not a good cook, but at least I haven't burned my kitchen yet.
stocked up and ready to go~
Before quarantine started, I felt like I didn't have the time nor motivation to cook good food for myself. I often just cook fried rice or dumplings for lunch, since they were easy to make.
When the classes turned to online lectures and AYCTE meal stopped, I realized that I had more time to cook for myself and to try the recipes that are more complicated than fired rice. (I also filled up my fridge, so I can stayed at home for two weeks without having to go out.)
I am a big fan of Japanese cuisines, so I that's what I started with.
I attempted Oyako Don (chicken bowl) at first and later tried Japanese style sweet curry. I found that you can buy cooked eel at HMart, so I cooked Unagi Don for dinner once. After tons of failing, I finally started to feel like I am making progress in cooking now. After all, if you cooked the food, it will always be delicious to you.

Pork bowl + Natto + Umeshu Highball = Japanese style dinner?
Unagi Don











Pull-ups for arms and backside muscles

Starting Gym at home

Quarantine is not an excuse for not exercising.

While lacking equipment at home, I was still able to train efficiently using body weight exercises.
At first, I thought body weight exercises won't be as effective as working out in gym. I was totally wrong. You can train different muscle groups by doing push-ups in different positions; and pull-ups can be quite hard if you do it in a full motion. I definitely recommend you to search for some videos on Youtube to learn about it!


Me playing Ring Fit Adventure
In addition to body weight exercises, I also use Ring Fit Adventure to help me train. If you don't know what is it, Ring Fit Adventure is a game on Nintendo Switch that allows player to play the game by working out. To fight the monster in this game, player need to perform certain exercise. Although it is not so efficient in building muscles, it can help with getting your heart rate up and preparing you for heavier work outs. Above all, it is a fun game to play.







Taking a break outside

Stay at home and save lives, but also don't forget to take care of your own mental health by taking a break outside.
Staying at home alone can be really depressing. While it is important to stay at home, you can have a nice breath of fresh air outside if you can maintain safe social distance.
After all, keeping a positive attitude is just as important as being physically healthy.

Nice Summer Weather


Wish you all good health!
Best,
Bryan Yuan






No comments:

Post a Comment