Monday, October 13, 2014

PLU Homecoming 2014

Homecoming is the tradition of welcoming back alumni of a school. It is a tradition in many universities, colleges and highschools in the United States. Here at PLU homecoming usually includes a concert, a pep-rally, a football game and a dance spread over one weekend in the Fall. There are many activities for current student and alumni that come back to visit.

PLU Lutes took on the Linfield Wildcats at Sparks Stadium with a huge crowd of former Lutes, current Lutes and future Lutes in black and gold cheering them on. The atmosphere at home games is something I encourage all international students to experience. The Alumni Office provided hot mulled cider and football cookies. The Homecoming Concert featured Seattle artist Kris Orlowski before Lutes got ready for the dance later that evening.

Four Norwegian fans! (Photo: Hilde Marie Kjorsvik)
This year I decided to participate in my first ever and last Homecoming Dance. It is an event that is set up by ASPLU, the student government at PLU. The dance was hosted at the Point Defiance Aquarium. There was a DJ playing great music, people were dancing like no one was watching and great catering. 

My roommates and I! (Photo: Stine Smeby)
My favorite part of this dance was the location. The dancefloor and food was wrapped around a huge open aquarium and I spent a lot of time looking down into the water at the many different fish. There were huge flounders, sharks and fish in all sizes and colors. For those that were 21+ there was a cash bar on the lower level under the aquarium with great views of the fish from below the surface.

Although many people do come with a date to homecoming it is very acceptable to go with your friends or roommates (like I did). We had a great girls night together, getting dressed up, dancing our heels off and singing at the top of our lungs. I would say that my first homecoming dance was a great success. It was an awesome night that I will not soon forget!

A big thank you to the Alumni Office and to ASPLU for arranging this weekend. 

Madeleine




No comments:

Post a Comment